Orange & Fennel Seed Scones
10th February 2015
Aisling is always experimenting with different flavour and these are the scones that always sell out first.
- 1 kg Self Raising Flour
- 210g Soft Butter
- 2 Fistful of Sugar
- Zest of 3 Large Oranges
- 3 Teaspoons of Crushed Fennel Seeds
- 100 ml of Milk
- 3 Eggs Beaten
- Rub in the butter and flour until smooth with no lumps
- Add sugar zest and crushed fennel seeds into mixture
- You can use your mortar and pastel to crush seeds
- Make a well in the centre of mixture and add the three beaten eggs and the mild.
- With a fork work the wet mixture into the dry mixture.
- This will ensure light and fluffy scones.
- When mixture has come together gently roll it out flat with a rolling pin to approximately the same height as your scone cutter.
- Cut them into individual scones and place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Place in a preheated oven 190 Celsius or gas mark 5 for approximately thirty minutes.
- Take out and allow to cool on a cooling rack for at least twenty minutes to avoid the scones tasting too doughy.
Pour a hot cup of tea and enjoy! As you eat remember us and tell your friends about The Hungry Monk – hungrymonkcong.com